Thursday, November 25, 2004

Thanksgiving Day Post

Well, since there's not likely to be much in the way of Tar Heel sports to write about for a few days now, I thought I'd just do something in the spirit of the season.

So without further ado - some things I'm thankful for today . . .

-I managed to get a wireless setup going at my in-laws. Yes, I'm pretty pleased with myself about that. Plus, it makes me keep blogging just because I can.

-Every year at this time, I get to take my kids to see two sets of grandparents, and I can never tell whether the kids or the grandparents are more excited.

-I was a Tar Heel bred -- I'm a Tar Heel fan today in no small part because Carolina games were one of the things we always did together as a family. Every trip to the pines of Kenan or the Dean Dome stirs memories of another happy time.

-Speaking of childhood -- I'm thankful that although I can barely remember it anymore, Dad had tickets to Carmichael before there was a Dean Dome. Our seats were so high up that I can remember Dad wasn't able to stand up completely when it was time to cheer. Thanks, Dad.

-In the early '80's, I was still in a hero-worship stage with UNC sports. A friend invited me to go see the Tar Heels play an NCAA game in Reynolds Coliseum. We showed up early and watched warmups when almost no one was there. When James Worthy's turn came, I yelled at him: "Slam it home, James" -- and here's the thing -- he did. And he smiled and nodded in my direction afterwards. Never forgot it. Thanks, James.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home