Monday, December 20, 2004

The early returns

Although I think DH is basically right about Wake Forest, I'm a little concerned about the way the rest of the ACC is shaping up. The conventional wisdom has been that the ACC is so good that they'll all beat up on each other and have records that look worse than they really are.

I'm not so sure about that.

Basically, the only two teams in the conference that I think look to be "up to snuff" so far are the Tar Heels and (I hate to say it) Blue Devils. For a bit there, I thought that perhaps NCSU was underrated, but after a close call against La. Lafayette and a loss to the first good team they've played (Washington), I'm not as sure.

Wake, of course, got murdered on national TV and haven't really looked like their preseason ranking in the games they've won. Georgia Tech barely escaped Illinois-Chicago, and then lost to Gonzaga, again, the first really good team they've played.

Maryland is expected to be pretty good, though not great. So far, "pretty good" may be a reach -- losses to George Washington and Wisconsin, and they barely dodged an FSU team that has 4 losses to some unimpressive teams (Florida International? Texas A&M CC?).

Clemson's record is good, but they haven't beaten anyone worth mentioning. Virginia is probably the only surprising team to the good side, but I don't think UVa is what anyone had in mind when they were talking up the ACC.

In short, the ACC might be the best conference in the country, but I don't think that after the top 2 or 3 teams that the rest of the league is really head and shoulders above what you can find elsewhere in the country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home