Sunday, January 09, 2005

A basketball addict's story

I, uh . . . had tickets to the Maryland game, but I couldn't go. There was the matter of an unavoidable family conflict (someone turned 80 and had a party, and trust me, there was going to be no spousal relief from that obligation).

I came to find out that the location of this event would not have a television. This called for desperate measures. So I dig through my stuff and come up with my AM/FM Walkman. This will get me through. Now, I've been married long enough that this is an issue about which my wife and I have a understanding that goes undiscussed. She hates that I do this but knows that it is the only way for me to be remotely sociable at one of these events.

So, in I walk, headphones on. And that is when every male in the joint sells me out. You know, the tsk-tsk looks, and the "hey, honey, at least I'm not in here wearing headphones" kind of deal. But every damn one of them knows what I'm listening to, and every one of them chases me down when they think their wife isn't looking to ask for the score. By the time the second half is halfway over, the pretense has dropped altogether and people 3 tables over are shouting for score updates, followed finally by the 80 year old honoree herself asking for the count. I may be the insane relative, but by the end of that party, I was the well-loved insane relative.

Every real fan knows that in life, as in basketball, there come days when you're put into a crucial situation, and lots of people would rather pass than shoot, but somebody has to step up. Saturday was one of those days. When it comes to the Heels, well, just give me the damn ball.

3 Comments:

Blogger yoni cohen :: http://yocohoops.com said...

Hey-

Came across your blog today. Good stuff. Sorry you couldn't go to the Terps game.

Noticed you are a college basketball fan. Hoping you could kindly add a blogroll link to my College Basketball Blog, http://collegeball.blogspot.com. I'd greatly appreciate a permanent link on your site.

And would gladly return the favor, adding a link from my site to yours.

Thanks kindly!

Yoni Cohen, College Basketball Blog
http://collegeball.blogspot.com

January 13, 2005 at 1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

|
Following I inquire about FunFing Fata. What exactly are the repayments? Any next mortgages? Are their payments existing? Any CC&R's? What they paiF to the home? Many times when I ask, "What FiF they pay For that home?, I get, "it's none oF your respective business". Well, I say [url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton Outlet[/url]
the seller, this helps me FeciFe iF a Lease Purchase is workable, anF it is a matter oF public recorF.
|

February 17, 2013 at 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.dailystrength.org/people/2641034/journal]sacs longchamps[/url] Toiletries. If you're planning for a trip that involves renting a beach house, you may not be sure if items like shampoo and soap will be available. To play it safe, take all of these travel essentials: shampoo, conditioner, lotion, toothpaste, mouthwash, razors and Follow the fashion Mulberry Albert Satchel Natural Leather Messenger Bag Light Coffee for Men,you can buy Mulberry Bags on our Mulberry Bags Outlet shaving cream.
[url=http://space.canoe.ca/longchampbagsd/blog/]longchamp soldes[/url] Hire talents and entertainers. The kind In Style Mulberry Women's Alexa Leather Satchel Red Bag. We sale all kinds of the newsest style that all are cheap price and high quality. of entertainment that is connected with your business. Tailor fit the talents and entertainers so that the attention won't stray from your business. Leave the "I might need" items at home. Whether it's a shirt, a pair of shoes or a new designer dress - if you've never worn it at home, you won't wear it on vacation. Stick with the tried and true that you are comfortable with.
[url=http://longchampmoinse.zoints.com/blog]sacs longchamps[/url] Many designs like clutches, sling handbags and handle bags, these luxurious pieces are costly when purchased straight from the designers. When given a really reasonable option, ladies can spend many additional designer handbags. Wholesale handbags are much desired products that provide female shoppers better options to match up their ensembles.. Of course they have some Designer Mulberry Women's Smaller Bayswater Printed Leather Shoulder Light Coffee Bag sale unique beige or white colored handbags spelling refinement and sophistication but they also have plenty of jute bags that have some very bold and bright colors and designsfor those of us who are aiming for elegance with a statement. The bags also have various styles of handles-flat handles, braided handles, handles made of cane, and handles made of wood-just to name a few varieties. The bags are well made and are long lasting...

March 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home