Saturday, January 08, 2005

Start of the real season

OK, here we go . . . it feels like rising from the dead. Football's over, and so is out-of-conference hoops (Virginia Tech doesn't count).

Maryland comes in ranked 21st, with a Sagarin rating of 29th. Carolina is 4th and 7th, respectively, but by my eyes looks to be the best team in the country.

Maryland is 9-2, with losses to George Washington and Wisconsin. Their best quality win is over Memphis -- ho-hum.

Maryland's key player is John Gilchrist -- a guy who by many accounts was Carolina's for the asking, only they didn't ask. Not that I'd complain about having Raymond, but sheesh, that's a killer miss.

Anyway, the line on the game is UNC -11.5. I'm a little surprised it's that high (I think most people don't realize how soft Maryland's schedule has been to this point), but I still say the Tar Heels cover it easily. Prediction: UNC 96, Maryland 77.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home