Sunday, January 02, 2005

I know the William and Mary game counts, too.

Seems like it's been a while since I blogged much of anything about the basketball team. Although those who know me might justifiably anticipate that I'm working the "no talking during a no hitter" mojo, that's not really it. Partly it's been the continued distractions of the holidays, but that's not the major reason either.

Here's the thing. I'm a fan. I am not any kind of true "insider" and I don't know any of the players or coaches personally. I just have an obsession with UNC sports that borders on the obscene. But no matter what your obsession, is there really much of anything to be said after the string of butt-whuppins we've been laying on the likes of UNCW and W&M? I think we're really good, and I think it shows, even in those games. One mark of a great team is showing up to play against mediocre competition as if they were the Lakers. This team does that. It's just that making that observation game after game doesn't make much for interesting reading (or writing).

Every team, even the great ones, play some weak non-conference teams, and Carolina is no exception. It just seems like we started the year off with all kinds of interesting games (I remind you that Santa Clara did not happen) and then we headed into a stretch of games in which the outcome is not seriously in question. Usually there's more of a blend during the nonconference schedule. Oh well, no matter. Things are about to start getting interesting with the ACC season rolling around. And hopefully then I'll have something to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home