Monday, January 17, 2005

OK, so we can still lose . . . a few thoughts on Wake

I'll give it to you straight: yes, I'm a little surprised. Probably more than I should be. I confess to having given in to the temptation to believe we were head and shoulders above the rest of the country, including other top 10 teams. In hindsight, that's in part because I think I read more into the GT and Maryland games than I should have (both have since lost again and looked questionable doing it), and in part because the Wake defeat at Illinois impacted me more than it probably should have.

I'm not prepared to concede the conference to Wake Forest on the basis of that one game, because I simply don't think Wake can play any better than they did Saturday. Contrary to the complaints from some, I don't think that the Heels were all that bad. I think we played OK and just plain got beaten by a very good team. There were some horrid calls, and freakish free throw shooting (32-32 by Wake, which anyone reading this already knows), but I still think we would've lost had neither of those things been true.

Also in the "Gosh, I'm stupid" category . . . once upon a time I thought there had never been a better match between coach and school than Dave Odom and Wake Forest. I thought they were crazy to get rid of him, given the challenges of making it big-time at Wake Forest (no offense to Prosser intended). Whoa, was I wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home